Monday, April 20, 2009

Stick Checks and Yellow Cards and Draws, OH MY!

(Written Monday, the 20th)
Big week in lacrosse this week coming off of another big week! Last week we were short on games compared to this week but certainly not short on excitement. We played Stow last week in a big rivalry after having beaten them in overtime last year.
Stow was one heck of a game! We ended up winning 19-15 but not without going back and forth in the difference between their score and ours. At our closest we were tied -At our best we were up by 8!!! You'd think that would be cause to settle the ball and relax a little... however, last year our team was down by 9 to Stow with 11 minutes left, tied it in regulation and won in overtime. Stow fought back with 5 quick goals to make it 18-15 there at the end. We finally had our girls settle with the ball so we stopped making unnecessary turnovers and got one more goal with 2 seconds to go. It was an AMAZING game... truly one I will take with me to Connecticut.
Saturday we made our annual trip to the Hannigan Galipault Tournament (HGT) in Columbus. Extra fun for me as I played in the tourny in High School, it is help at my rival high school, I get to catch up with my former coach, and my parents come every year. We play 2 games, and usually we play pretty fair for the tournament... win neither or win one, rainy weather...etc. Not this year! We played Summit Country day first and won by 5, girls played well, and we got a freshman jv player in with 1min 30sec to go and she got a goal! It was a fun game despite the other coaches complaining about each and every single call. Secon we played Scioto (rival for me in high school :) ) whom we've played 3 times at the HGT in the last 5 years and beat them by 2. It was back and forth all game, and a few of their girls were pretty nasty. Not to mention we had a ref who would not give Kent a call, and no, that is not bitterness, its unfortunately the truth. But despite his best efforts to throw the game we came out on top and game Scioto their first loss of the season! WOOT!
On to this week.... Mon (Today) - Laurel, Tuesday - Hudson, Thursday - WRA, Saturday - Kentston. CRAZY! But we love it :) Our girls will be exhausted by the end of the week, but I am confident we will have multiple things to be excited about. One of our girls - conveniently named Laurel - tore her ACL and Meniscus last year during the Laurel game, so she has a vengence to finish the whole game and probably score a few goals. Kent has never beat Hudson - so there's a BIG rivalry there. Not to mention Christy went to Hudson and would love to beat them. WRA is always a game we'd love to have under our belt - plus my Mom-in-law JoAnn may come as well as my favorite family that I babysit for. And Kenston on Saturday we've never played in lax, but doesn't mean we don't want to win this week outright to improve our winning streak to 8.
Thats right... we're on a 4 game winning streak! This is the best I have ever seen Kent look in the 5 years I've been here and it is such an awesome thing to be a part of.
However the week turns out, it will be a good, busy week, and we will be exhausted at the end of it I'm sure. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!
I wanted to post pics from the tournament, however I bring Steve's laptop with me when I sub (THANKS HUBBY!) and I don't have any pictures on here :) Check them out on Facebook soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment