Thursday, May 21, 2009

End of an Era



It is bitter-sweetly the end of my time coaching lacrosse at Kent Roosevelt High School. It's amazing that we have our Connecticut jobs and we are looking forward to it. But I do not know what I will do when January rolls around next year and I'm not planning Kent Girl's open gyms into my schedule. We just ended our season on Monday and already I feel weird in the afternoons not heading off to games and practice. I'll be okay in the summer, fall, and winter when we normally don't have lacrosse. Spring, however, will be very hard!

I have not loved a team of lacrosse girls this much since it was my own team my senior year. This was our first year without drama, our first year of complete trust between a team, and our first team where every girl wanted to win. It was a true true blessing to be a part of.


Our senior girls were truly amazing girls to look up to for our underclassmen. They loved each other, and in turn loved their team, and their team loved them back. And their coaches? Well... their coaches were amazed by them.

This was the first year we had the same coaching staff two years in a row since I've been there. Christy and I have always been there the past 5 years, but every other coach always rotated. This year, Leah stuck in for another year with us and it was wonderful. She had the patience to be with JV two years in a row, and it was truly a blessing for Christy and I. Leah has become such a good friend and it has been amazing coaching next to a good friend.


And as for Christy - how can I blog about lacrosse and not say anything about Christy?! The first day I met Christy she asked me coach with her. It was like the second week of school my freshman year and I was sad and worried I'd never be in lacrosse again. I didn't know what I was doing, and then I found out she was also pregnant, due in the middle of the season, and I'd be left to coach by myself a few games! Nevertheless, five years later, Christy is my sister, Josh a brother, and the boys feel like nephews. If it weren't for coaching and lacrosse, who knows what I would have scheduled my classes around throughout college. Nevertheless, lacrosse and Christy have been a huge blessing to my life for the past five years. And even though it won't be Kent, lacrosse will still bless my life in some way, and for that, I have Christy to thank, by way of God! 


No comments:

Post a Comment