Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Look Me in the Eye"



Another book down in my quest to become an avid reader again. I just finished the book "Look Me in the Eye" by John Elder Robison. I had heard many wonderful things about the book from general reviews to my mom's response after reading the book and I assumed I would end up liking it. Here's the review from Amazon...

"If one looked at only Robison's impish sense of humor (he once ordered a blow-up sex doll to be delivered to his junior-high-school teacher—at school), or his success as a classic-car restorer, it might be impossible to believe he has the high-functioning form of autism spectrum disorder called Asperger's syndrome. Clues abound, however, in his account of a youth encompassing serious inability to make and keep friends; early genius at pyrotechnics, electronics, and math; and pet names such as Poodle for his dog and Snort and Varmint for his baby brother. Much later, he calls his wife Unit Two. It is easy to recognize these telltale traits today, but Robison went undiagnosed until he was 40. In the 1960s, he was variously labeled lazy, weird, and, worse, sociopathic. Consequently, his childhood memories too often read like a kid's worst nightmares. Not only did his parents fail to understand the root of his socialization problems but they were also virtually as dysfunctional as the pair Augusten Burroughs portrays in Running with Scissors (2002). 'Nough said? Not nearly. Robison's memoir is must reading for its unblinking (as only an Aspergian can) glimpse into the life of a person who had to wait decades for the medical community to catch up with him."

By the end, I was sad that the book was coming to a close. It was truly amazing. I couldn't put it down. It is a must read for anyone in education, but also for anyone who just wants to understand people a little more. I cannot imagine living with Asperger's and not having any idea that there was a specific reason you stood out from the crowd. Its amazing when finally finds out he has Asperger's, such a revelation! Anywho... I suggest it to ANYONE.
Grade... A++++


Next up: "Pretty is What Changes: Impossible Choices, the Breast Cancer Gene, and How I Defied my Destiny" by Jessica Queller.
I accidentally found this book while looking for another book, and it caught my attention because of my family history with different types of cancer. Not sure if its going to be good for me to read or will only make me think about cancer more but we'll see. Also... found out the author has written for TV Shows such as Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, Felicty and One Tree Hill.






** For those who have never heard of Asperger's, here's a link to a page about it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment